Re: why does one need an initrd if using LVM?

On Sat, 3 May 2003, jdow wrote:

> Check what the student actually built. If you told her to add
> ext3 and LVM to her build you phrased it wrong. Did she add it
> as a compiled in part of the kernel or as a module. In either
> mode they are in the build. If they are modules then the initrd
> is required, of course.

i'm, at the moment, perusing /sbin/mkinitrd (taking gordon messmer's
advice), and i suspect i'll figure out what's actually going on
shortly.

but given my previous experience with initrd, ext3 and LABEL
lines in /etc/fstab, you can bet i was *really* adamant that all
of that should be added to the kernel directly, and not as
modules.  (this didn't just happen to one student -- the
whole class, without exception, was affected.)

and, recall, i mentioned that, when i did build an initrd.img
based on that new kernel, that image had *no* modules in it
at all, so i assume mkinitrd was smart enough to realize
none of them were needed.

and yet, adding that initrd line to the grub file was enough
to get the boot to work.

anyway, back to mkinitrd.  i'll post what i find if anyone
is interested.

rday