Re: make rpm fails

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:36, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

> I think the Red Hat package upgrade system (Red Hat Network) will only
> work to upgrade the kernel later on if I install my kernels as an rpm.
> That's what's got me trying to make the upgrade by making my custom
> kernel into an rpm file.

Well, regardless of what up2date does, it's indeed better to install the
software as rpm packages, usually.

> > I usually edit the Makefile and get rid of the "custom" string in the
> > kernel version.
>
> Is this a general comment on approach, or a solution to a problem,
> please?  I can't tell from what you've written.

What i'm saying is: the build system expects various things to be in
certain places based on the kernel version. The kernel version is
deduced from the Makefile.
Red Hat kernel sources add the "custom" string to the kernel version. If
the build fails, you may want to tweak the kernel version string.

As a standard practice, i always remove the "custom" string immediately
after i install the system (or replace it with "smp" on SMP systems). If
i don't do that, there are problems with applications that i build
myself and which install their own kernel modules.

I remember rebuilding the kernel rpm, and i think i tweaked the kernel
version. I also remember being able to create kernel packages with
customised kernel versions, such as:

2.4.18-27.8.0smpAPIC
2.4.18-27.8.0XFS

...and so on. I don't remember all steps, but i do remember it required
some tweaking of the spec files and/or the Makefile, usually things
related to how the kernel version is defined.

Sorry, i can't be more specific than that.

--
Florin Andrei

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy." - Goethe