After changing an interface from
dhcp to static, the running dhclient
process is not killed, so it stays in
the background making mischief.

Make sure the dhclient is dead.

Joe

Shane C Branch wrote:

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 5/2/2003 at 9:22 AM Gregory Gulik wrote:

I installed RH9 on a machine yesterday and specified a static IP address (normally I use DHCP) yet it seemed to not do that. When I booted I found the machine had obtained an IP address via DHCP.

I had to go to the Network configuration tool, turn off DHCP there and specified a static IP address and it's been fine since.

Shane C Branch wrote:

My IP address appears to be randomly changing. If I were running DHCP,

this

would not be unexpected, however, eth0 is set with a statically assigned

IP

address. I have checked the

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/devices/ifcfg-eth0

files, as well as the corresponding /etc/sysconfig/networking/ files.

All files

report the correct entries for IP address, gateway, DNS, subnet, and so

on.

However, when I run ifconfig eth0 the reported address is 9.37.a.b. The
assigned address is 9.37.c.d. If I run nslookup on an MS box, the DNS

server

responds with the correct combination of IP and host name. This leads me

conclude that there is an incorrect setting with my linux box

networking, but I

don't know where else to look.

Has anyone else seen this?

regards,