smb:/// error

Having only dabbled in Linux up to this point I have decided to really make a go of learning this OS.  So after a very frustrating stint at getting printing to work on my windows machines only to find out a simple little URL would have worked took the wind out of my "look what I figured out" sails.

Never the less here is my latest issue.  RH9 has the Network Servers Browser feature that appears to be much like a Network Neighborhood icon in Windows.  However, when I try to use it I get the following error:

Couldn't display "smb:///", because no host "null" could not be found.  Check the spelling is correct and that your proxy settings are correct.

Now I am certain I have left something out or tweaked something I should not have but I cannot seem to find any information on this or why it is occurring.

Anyone have an easy answer for this Linux Newbie?

Kevin