Fw: Red Hat Linux 9 freshrpms packages

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:11:33 +0200
From: Matthias Saou <matthias@xxxxxxxxx>
To: RPM-List <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Red Hat Linux 9 freshrpms packages

Hi all,

Red Hat Linux 9 is here, and so are the new freshrpms.net packages!
Of course, as the main distribution is only currenty available to RHN
subscribers, the "os" and "updates" apt/yum modules aren't avaible yet, and
won't be until the release actually hits the stores and public ftp servers,
which should happen one week from now.

The new website is:
http://shrike.freshrpms.net/

All relevant parts of freshrpms.net and apt.freshrpms.net have been (or are
soon going to be) updated to reflect the change.

New stuff: (*IMPORTANT*)
- The apt server is now http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ and the paths no longer
  include "en". For the info, "ayo" stands for "apt, yum and others" ;-)
- All files are also available through yum, although no yum package for
  Red Hat Linux 9 is currently available from freshrpms.net (soon!). See
  http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/ for more.
- Some packages have had their non-relevant epoch value removed. These
  may be problematic if you decide to upgrade your system instead of
  performing a complete reinstall. The affected packages are:
  - apg
  - anjuta
  - blackbox (but was 0 anyway)
  - gentoo
  - gkrellm
  - gkrellm-plugins
  - gkrellm-themes
  - gtktalog
  - i8kutils
  - libdvdcss
  - ltris
  - proftpd
  - subtitleripper
  - xine
  The only packages with epoch set are the ones that need it in order to
  keep upgradability with older Red Hat packages.
- The ALSA kernel modules don't work with the default Red Hat 9 kernel, so
  until a solution is available, no ALSA :-(
- The mjpegtools won't recompile, so transcode is currently built without
  mjpeg support (required for (S)VCD IIRC).
- The sylpheed and sylpheed-claws packages don't seem to recompile with SSL
  and produce include errors (krb5 from openssl) that I also have on
  YellowDog Linux 3.0, I'll dig into that. For now, the 8.0 binary
  packages should work fine.
- A few packages now compile again in their latest version, most notably
  the screem web editor and the totem xine/gtk2 player.

For the impatient ones, remember that signing up with RHN will allow you to
support Red Hat, which is still providing us with a great (my favorite ;-))
GNU/Linux distribution! For the others, only one week left to go... and...
have you considered subscribing to RHN? :-)

That's all for now, please report back to me any eventual problems, but
most of all... have fun!
Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.17 0.20 0.18, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:39)