No keyboard with Athelon, when trying to install RHL or MDK

I am trying to install inux (any type with GNOME). I tried to install RHL on the machine and there was no intetractivity with the keyboard.

I also tried to install Mandrake 9.1, mainly to use their trick with downsizing an existing XP partition. ( This part worked out alright.)

The Mandrake installation seemed to go alright. It would not successfully boot though. It would lock up on PCMCIA. The keyboard was unresponsive. Also, if I tried to go into rescue mode, it would be unresponsive also.

The laptop model is an HP ze4315us

My main question is about bothering to download RHL9. Would it work with this particular or similar models of laptops? I never downloaded the disks for RH9, but have it installed on a few Pentium machines, successfully. This is my first attempt with an AMD microprocessor. Does it deal with keyboard interfaces differently than one with an Intel processor?

Thanks,

Jim

--
It is illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood
Boulevard at one time.