Re: Red Hat On Yesterday's Hardware

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 00:15:23 at 12:15:23AM -0400, Robert L Cochran (cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I see from the release notes for Red Hat 9 that the minimum CPU is a
> Pentium class and the minumum memory is 64 Mb, rock bottom.
>
> My question is, what is the lowest-end system that one can get
> realistically decent graphics performance from with Red Hat 9? Including
> internetting and office management tasks? A Pentium 90? Pentium 66? How
> low can I go before the hardware chokes the OS performance-wise?

It strongly depends from what you exactly mean by " internetting and
office management tasks".

If you mean online gaming, or accepting those sites where even the
"Contact Us" page is done in Flash, or using OpenOffice.org, then you
need a relatively powerful machine regardless of the operating system.

Otherwise, have a look at

	   http://www.rule-project.org/en/screenshots.php

Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

I never let my schooling get in the way of my education. -- Mark Twain