Re: Where are rpms installed?

rebel student wrote:
Hi folks:
I downloaded a webmin rpm for the RH9. I place all rpms I download at /usr/local/rpms
and then from /usr/local/rpms I do
rpm -ivh xyz.rpm
However, when I go to the shell (even new shell), and
type the name $xyz
it does not run.
When I see by doing which xyz it says not able to find
xyz at /usr/bin , /usr/sbin etc etc or $whereis xyz nothing appears.
How to do this and where are all the bianries stored
when I do rpm -ivh, in general I am ignorant how this

The binaries are installed in the paths defined in the RPM script.

rpm is different from when we download .tar.gz thing
and do the whole stuff manually

If you're doing lots of RPM installs, get a package manager. It makes life easier.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Rebel

1) Webmin is for web based administration. Not command line, but web based. Get a browser and connect to localhost.localdomain:10000
2) The package name doesn't always denote the command name (stupid I know). Find where you got the package from and read the info on it. Also try the man command for info.