USB and UPS (2nd Request)

Just posting again as I got no response to this. Hoping someone can help.

I'm very new to understanding USB on Linux. I just bought a SmartUPS VA
1000XL, and my only means of connecting it to my Linux box is via USB cable.
I'd like to learn about and understand what's involved in connecting any USB
device to Linux box, and more specifically, my UPS. Can anyone suggest
pointers to some good documentation that I can read to get me started?
Thanks.

- Michael