Re: OT - Updates system clock

On June 25, 2003 Tom Diehl <tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25 Jun 2003, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 10:59, dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > When I went to the updates.redhat.com site to download the latest
>> errata updates this morning, I found that the timestamp for the
>> ypserv-2.8-0.9E files were at least three hours into the future. At
>> about 08:30 CDT, the timestamps on those files were showing June 25
>> 11:17 with both gftp and an ftp client in Xterm. (Time and zone
>> settings at this end are correct.)
>> >

>> I would guess that updates.redhat.com would be set to the GMT time
>> zone.  I don't know whether FTP is smart enough to determine that and
>> convert to local time zone or not.  Hmm.
>
> They are GMT.
>
> I hav never seen an ftp client that displayed anything other than what
> is on the server.
>
> One other thing if you are worried about the files just check the gpg
> sig on them.

Tom,

Yeah, I could. I could also use md5sum if I had two local copies. But that
wasn't why I asked the question.

One reason for using an ftp client like gftp that sets the date/time to
match the source is that I know at a glance if the distant end has
changed. Trouble was, when I looked at the two files I downloaded, bash
listed them as "June 25 2003" rather than "June 25 11:17".

In all the years I've been using ftp to download files (and touch to sync
their date/timestamps) I can't recall ever running into this before. Have
I just been "lucky" and never downloaded something sooner than the GMT
offset since its creation, or is what I encountered this morning really
wrong?

I may be asking this question poorly, and without complete knowledge of
how file dates/times are actually stored and displayed. But it seems to me
that when I log onto a remote web site with ftp and see a file's
date/time, there should be no ambiguity as to whether it's in local or
universal time. As another responder has noted, e-mail clients (for
example) are able to handle time zone information correctly.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL