Re: ALSA problems

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 21:17, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> > Did you load the OSS compatibility modules?
> >
> > I really think you should take a quick glance at my ALSA page, since
> > apparently you haven't already :
> >
> > http://freshrpms.net/docs/alsa/
>
> thanks for the help, I have tried with both the i386 and i586 rpms with
> the same results.

You MUST use the exact version of the kernel modules that match your
running kernel.  If you have an i686 kernel, use the i686 modules, if
you have an athlon, use the athlon, etc.  There is no sense in even
trying some other version, as the kernel symbols will not match and WILL
give you plenty of problems.

Try running this command:
rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}:%{ARCH}\n' |
	grep kernel
Make sure that the kernel-module-alsa matches your installed/running
kernel's version and arch exactly.  If not, get the correct one or
follow the procdure documented above to rebuild one for your kernel.

I'm not sure about the rest of your problems, but I wanted to point out
the fallacy of trying anything other than the exact version/release/arch
and expecting it to work.

If you're sure you have the correct kernel modules, your next source of
support should probably be the ALSA web site and mailing lists, as there
may be a particular problem with your sound card's drivers that we're
unlikely to diagnose here.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy

--