Number of threads

Hi all,

I am trying to build non-caching proxy server. After some testing i
decided to get Oops, since it is lightweight and uses threads. I'm
running Red Hat 9 on 4xXeon 800 MHz machine with 1 gb RAM (latest Red
Hat kernel). When i run it, it sometimes makes problem, so I suspect it
is something with threads (it has around 5000 connections per second).
So my questions are:

1. How many threads I can expect to run in parallel on this machine
using deafult Red Hat's kernel and glibc ?

2. Where I can find advice how to build this software using NPTL (i am
sysadmin, not programmer). I tried on native mail list without success.
I need document which describes generally how to use NPTL.

Thanks in advance,
--
Eng. Dusan Djordjevic (RHCE)