Re: Surprised!!!!Re: how to run CVS?

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 20:43, rebel student wrote:

> I have installed red hat 9 and i m surprised.
> There is no CVS. So, I went to cvs site and downloaded
> its .tar.gz,

Why did you do that before checking what was available on your CDs?

> when i untarred it by
> tar -zxvf ....tar.gz and tried to ran ./configure it
> told me no gcc compiler
> then i downloaded gcc compiler frm gcc.gnu.org site
> and ran, then i came to knw no cc compiler
> whats this? i m surprised...ther are no packages fr
> gcc, cc, java, cvs and in my earlier red hat 7.3
> everything was so fine...
> or am I in ignorance.?

Do you really think Red Hat would ship a Linux distribution with no gcc
and no CVS?

> I have installed the red hat 9 frm the 3 cds,
> (downloaded frm the red hat site) and I have
> installed, ( i guess without custom).
> i am sure there is no cvs package. But why, the
> brilliant developers are adding on new and new things
> and leaving such essential things ??
> Pardon me!! if I am wrong!!
> but i checked no cvs, no gcc, no cc, nothing ....

You have down the wrong type of installation - presumably you chose one
with no developer tools. On my system:

$ rpm -q cvs
cvs-1.11.2-10
$ rpm -q gcc
gcc-3.2.2-5
$ rpm -qf `which cc`
gcc-3.2.2-5

Either manually install the RPMs from your CDs or re-install and this
time choose an install type more suited to your need. For what it's
worth, if you have the disc space the easiest way is to select "Custom"
and then select "Everything".

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com