Re: RedHat Linux 9.0

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:36:44 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

> > Oh, please, not that topic again. The 7.x series started with
> >
> >   Red Hat Linux 7
> >
> > (no dot zero!) at least on the box and the main web page, but some
> > people from Red Hat didn't care much and referred to it as version
> > "7.0" in documentation or directory names. That's why searching
> > www.redhat.com for "7.0" returns many results.
>
> All the "Official Red Hat Linux" documentation and release notes for
> Guinness call it "Red Hat Linux 7.0".

Not just documentation and release notes. Most important,
/etc/redhat-release contains "Red Hat Linux 7.0 (Guinness)".

Anyway, you misunderstood my comment somewhat it seems. I didn't
mean to say that Guinness was not "7.0". I meant to say that the
official name was not so clear and that the "earlier versioning
scheme" was not so well-defined as major dot minor. In the list
archives (not sure which list) you would find postings where I point
out that docs and packages contain "7.0" despite the "7" on box and
web page.

At the time Guinness was released, you could not know for sure
whether the next version would be 7.1 or 8. As soon as 7.1 was out,
there was no reason whatsoever to insist on 7, aided by the fact
that the Pinstripe beta version was prepared for a 7.0 release and
that "7.0" made it into several packages (as you agree with).
Probably the idea to release it as 7 came too late.

> Howver, the release after 8.0 is just 9, not 9.0.

Right now. Because this time they got it right early enough in
documentation, packages and on the web (apart from a few glitches).
[Since it has been fixed, I can tell that for a short time you could
order "Red Hat Linux 9.0".] But imagine, the next version after 9
would be 9.1, inspite of all rumours that the next version will be
10. In that case, it would not change the name of 9, but would
it make it be like a 9.0?

I'm all for calling the product by the name its referred to most
often in documentation and packages, which is "Red Hat Linux 9
(Shrike)", or using a common short-form such as "RHL 9" with or
without space.

William Hooper wrote:

> You need to talk to more computer newbies!  I quit counting the
> number of times someone has asked me about "Microsoft 98"
> (translation "Microsoft Word 97") or "Microsoft 97" (translation
> "Microsoft Windows95").

I haven't heard/seen anything like that. It's popular to omit
"Microsoft" and use names like "Word 97", "W2K", "W95", "Word 97",
"IE 6", "Outlook", "OE",...

> Could be worse, he could have asked "Is this where I talk
> about Linux 9?".

That's a *very* common one, IMO.

- --