Re: Applications Hang

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 07:39:09 -0700
From: Joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Applications Hang

edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Started having trouble after installing mplayer and
>java from Blackdown for mozilla 1.3.
>I don't know if they are related to my problem, just
>that I noticed it starting to happen after
>installation.
>
>System runs fine after a reboot for about 10-15
>minutes.
>Then everything starts to slow way down. Applications
>hang; don't open, gedit never opens and I get a
>message that it has crashed after about 5 minutes. I
>can't even open a terminal window when this happens.

I've been running mplayer on 5 different RH 9
boxes with no such problem, so as I mentioned
in my previous reply to this question, I'm curious
as to where you got the mplayer packages -

As to diagnostics, top and dmesg are useful for
a first look -

Can you refresh our memory as to the hardware
on which you are running?

Joe

I replied to your post, I got all packages from
freshrpms.net

I used top and dmesg before everthing slows, but
nothing out of the ordinary shows. CPU idle is around
95%-98%. Most messages in dmesg is from packets being
dropped by my firewall.

The hardware I'm running is a AMI MB with a 800Mhz
Intel PIII, 1GB ram, floppy, CD, hard drive,
SoundBlaster card, two NIC's, both are Netgear
FA311--that's it.

Right now the system has been stable for over an hour.
Not to pick on gedit, but I know it doesn't work; if I
start it, it just hangs without ever starting. About
10 minutes later I will get the error message that is
has crashed. It shows in ps -A

I'm not saying that mplayer or anything else has
caused this, just need to know how to proceed in order
to troubleshoot the problem. Should I un-install?
Re-install?
Thanks,