Re: Proxy server

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 11:59, joe wrote:
> Dusan Djordjevic wrote:
> >
> >I am trying to run very loaded (about 6000 connections per second) non
> >caching www server on Red Hat 9. Hardware is 4 x Xeon 800, 10 gb ram.
> >Since Squid cannot use all processors (or I do not know how ti make
> >it). So I need a suggestion, what software to choose for this task. I
> >tried squid, and I am not satisfied with results.
>
> Did you try using the aufs cache type?

The problem is, with Squid only the cache part is
multithreaded/multiprocess. It does that not only with aufs
(multithreaded) but with diskd too (multiprocess).
But the main event-processing loop (the actual proxy) is a single
thread/process no matter what.
See? Squid is a "caching proxy". It has a caching part, and a proxying
part, and they are implemented in different ways.

Dusan is trying to run a non-caching proxy. In Squid's case, that means
almost all processing takes place in the main loop. Hence, there is no
multithreading/multiprocessing.

I still have a feeling that he's trying to use the wrong tool for the
job. Big fast proxies are not something to run on big multi-CPU servers,
but on clusters of small single-CPU machines. That's the main reason why
Squid didn't bother to get the main loop multithreaded.
But perhaps i'm wrong, since i don't have any detailed information about
what he's really trying to accomplish.

--
Florin Andrei

Oracle: I'd ask you to sit down, but you're not going to anyway.
	And don't worry about the vase.
Neo: What vase?
Oracle: That vase.