Re: vmware? 2.5 kernel?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   anyone out there have vmware ws 4 running on RH 9?  even better,
> on the 2.5 kernel?
>
>   i just chatted with vmware, and the saleslady was adamant that
> they haven't even *tested* the latest workstation version on RH 9,
> so she could tell me nothing.
>
>   so if you have it running, that would be nice to know.  drop
> me a note off line if you want, no sense cluttering up the
> mailing list.
>
>   thanks.
>
> rday

Robert,

I am posting this to the list as I always find it useful to know when and
what software works on the various RH products. Being in an academic
environment that is heavily dependent on MS products, I find I have to
boot into Windows more often than I would like. I did not want to have to
reboot each time, so VMWare is a necessity for me.

I have it running on a RH 9 system. Specifics...

	Make:	Dell
	Model:	Latitude Cpt-C
	CPU:	400 MHz Celeron
	RAM:	512 Mb
	Disk:	6 Gb
	Kernel:	2.4.20-18.9
	VMware:	WS 4.0, Build 4460

Initially, I had a lot of problems with the original kernels. VMware installed
and ran, but the guest boot up process was really slow. The latest kernel works
perfectly.

Carey

<>  Carey F. Cox, PhD          |  PHONE: (318) 257-3770               <>
<>  Assistant Professor        |  FAX:   (318) 257-2306               <>
<>  Mech. Engg. Program        |  EMAIL: cfcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        <>
<>  Louisiana Tech University  |  WEB:   http://www.latech.edu/~cfcox <>