Re: APC SmartUPS 1000XL VA + Red Hat 9 (Non-HTML repost)

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 22:00, Michael J. McGillick wrote:
> Good Evening:
>
> I'm trying to get my new APC SmartUPS 1000XL VA ups to talk correctly to my
> Red Hat Linux 9 box. The only connection I can use from the APC with my
> system is the USB connection, as this machine does not have a serial port. I
> hooked everything up, and looked at the Hardware Monitor under Gnome. It
> says that it sees I have an APC BackUPS 500 connected (which is incorrect)
> and couldn't give me any further information about it.
>
> I did read through the nut-1.2.0 documentation supplied, and lot of the
> later steps all appear to hinge on me getting the Linux system to properly
> recognize the type of unit I have. I also tried playing around with the
> configuration files, but kept running into permission denied, or access
> denied errors (even though I'm root) when trying to start upsdrvctl.
>
> If anyone has configured this type of unit, or something similar, I'd
> appreciate any feedback you might have on getting my system to properly
> recognize this unit. Specifically, I need help with:
>
> Determining which USB port this unit is running on.
>
>    - How do I tell Linux about the hardware, and ensure it is using the
>      correct driver.
>
>    - How do I correctly configure the configuration files to talk with this
>      unit.

----
FWIW

I have used apcupsd with great success but only with serial ports. I
don't recall any of the APC/UPS softwares that are capable of using USB
connections. It may be possible to use USB.

A serial card is rather inexpensive and I always vote for saving time.

I much prefer apcupsd to the software that you can download from APC. I
have never played with nut.

There also is a Webmin module for apcupsd - it's a bonus.

Craig