Re: APC SmartUPS 1000XL VA + Red Hat 9 (Non-HTML repost)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Michael J. McGillick wrote:

> Good Evening:
>
> I'm trying to get my new APC SmartUPS 1000XL VA ups to talk correctly to my
> Red Hat Linux 9 box. The only connection I can use from the APC with my
> system is the USB connection, as this machine does not have a serial port. I
> hooked everything up, and looked at the Hardware Monitor under Gnome. It
> says that it sees I have an APC BackUPS 500 connected (which is incorrect)
> and couldn't give me any further information about it.
>
> I did read through the nut-1.2.0 documentation supplied, and lot of the
> later steps all appear to hinge on me getting the Linux system to properly
> recognize the type of unit I have. I also tried playing around with the
> configuration files, but kept running into permission denied, or access
> denied errors (even though I'm root) when trying to start upsdrvctl.
>
> If anyone has configured this type of unit, or something similar, I'd
> appreciate any feedback you might have on getting my system to properly
> recognize this unit. Specifically, I need help with:
>
> Determining which USB port this unit is running on.
>
>    - How do I tell Linux about the hardware, and ensure it is using the
>      correct driver.

Look in /etc/sysconfig/ups.

>    - How do I correctly configure the configuration files to talk with this
>      unit.
>
> As a side note, does anyone know where the Hardware Monitor pulls its
> information from?

When you call the proper driver with upsdrvctl it queries the ups. you should
be able to do upsc upsname@xxxxxxxxxxx and see the output returned by the ups.

FWIW the scripts that come with nut are somewhat borked. They do not even use
upsdrvctl. If you have more than one ups to monitor from a machine you cannot
do it with the scripts supplied by Red Hat.

All of the nut configuration files are in /etc/ups and /etc/sysconfig/ups.

Try the "newapc" driver and it should give you the info you need. I have never
used a usb based ups though. AFAIK usb support is still experimental.

Also until you can get upsc to spit out all of the config parameters do not
try to use the gui stuff. It will only drive you insane.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	My current SpamTrap		mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx