Re: Still no Sound - Please Help

Thanks for the response. See my comments below:
Regards, FrankK

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 05:19 am, John Haxby wrote:
> Frank K wrote:
> >>From sndconfig:
> >
> > A PCI sound card was found in your system. The details are:
> >Model: Creative Labs|[SB Live! Value] EMU10k1X
> >EMU10k1X is not supported.
>
> I may have missed this earlier and I suspect that this is the critical
> piece of information.

As I understand the problem, CreativeOpensource developed a driver for the
EMU10k1X card. They gave the source to sourceforge. The source tarball is
set up to create a driver module emu10K1.o.
I got the tarball, built this module, and installed in the sound driver module
directry. I put the driver load line in the /etc/modules.config.
The driver doesn't act like it's loaded, but I don't get to see any errors.

root[2202] modprobe --showconfig | grep -i sound
path[sound]=/lib/modules/sound
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound emu10k1

root[2203] modprobe emu10k1
/lib/modules/2.4.20-6/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: init_module: No
such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

There is nothing in dmesg or /etc/sysconfig/syslog. Where would I find out
about invalid IRQ parameters?

root[2210] ll /lib/modules/2.4.20-6/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/
total 88
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root        84428 Jun 14 23:27 emu10k1.o

Can I get a size comparison from anyone out there that has built this
driver module? I saw "successful build" come up after the second make.

The other modules in sound have 644 permissions so the 664 should work. All
the modules are root owner and group including mine.

I'm not loading the soundcore driver - that came with the RH9.0 install.
Is it possible that this driver is conflicting with the one I built?

I'm not setting the sound path either, but the modprobe seems to be finding
the correct path to my homemade module.

> You might like to try the ALSA drivers (www.alsa-project.org) since they
> explicitly claim support for the SB Live! Value.   It's not hard to
> build RPMs for them all, but if you have problems let me know and I'll
> put the ones that I built somewhere that you can download them.

I did look at Alsa drivers but didn't find the EMU10k1. On the subject of
Alsa, does the stock RH9.0 kernel comes with Alsa support?

I can see I'm going to know a lot more about all of this before my speakers
start to move. At least better audio trouble than video!