RE: sound on cd player

Yeah, the default CD player in XMMS (CD Audio Player) plays the audio
CDs over the audio cable between the CD-ROM and the soundcard.
Should that fail to work (as it seems to be the case with your system),
the app must use the other way of playing audio CDs: reading them like a
CD ripper (actually read the audio tracks over the IDE cable) and play
them like any other WAV file (actually PCM, not WAV).

In addition to fixing faulty audio cables, there is one other advantage
to this method. If you normally use the analog cable between CD-ROM and
soundcard, you loose some sound quality due to inherent problems in any
analog line. But AudioCD Reader is a fully digital method, so there is
no signal loss.

Any CDDA-enabled CD player app should be able to do the same all-digital
trick. Examples: ALSAPlayer, Xine, etc.

OTOH, if you connect the CD-ROM to the soundcard with a digital cable
(some soundcards allow that), and the cable works, then there is no
loss, and CDDA or AudioCD Reader are not required, so any CD player
would do.

--
Florin Andrei

"The concept of firewalls has started to have an effect at the
cultural level: I once heard a kid on a train describe his mother
as a 'stateful firewall' to one of his buddies." - Marcus Ranum