Re: firewall question

Melissa Golter wrote:

hmmm, if anyone can suggest anything:

re: rh9., dsl + firewall and delays in connections to a unix server while
using (default RH9.0) ssh

I have tried to turn *off* the firewall setup during installation
(original choices were: Medium security while allowing ftp, ssh, but not
telnet) -- neither lokkit nor setup seems to change (the respective
settings) no matter what option I choose.
Right now when using ssh something causes stalls...it can be minutes
before a keystroke will register.

I don't know if it is the ssh progam that is default with RH9.0...no one
else logging in the unix system I am logging into has reported such
problems. (note: I have multiple win boxes on same router which experience
no such delays while connected contemporaneously to same unix server)

There are a few possibilities, either basic name
resolution issues, or wrinkles in the default rh9
environment -

What does "top" or "w" on the rh 9 box say?

How about the tail of /var/log/messages, any
interesting info?

Can the other unix server resolve the ip address
of the rh9 server forwards and backwards? Can
the rh9 server resolve tge ip address of the other
unix server forwards and backwards?

Does /etc/nsswitch.conf contain directives for
a nonexistent nisplus service?

? anyone have any suggestions? I don't really know the ins and outs of iptables (networking) and the like, but can extemporize...

Thanks in advance

mgolter

PS I am gonna go on-line and look, but if anyone has a
suggestion/recommendaton re: a good ssh program that allows backspacing (I
am a horrible typist and am tired of re-typing a line 3,000 times when
ftping over ssh!), a name would be appreciated! ;P

hmm, backspacing works fine here, as does all the
usual command-line editing, with the ssh that ships
with red hat  - sounds like a terminal settings issue.

Joe