Re: firewall question

hmmm, if anyone can suggest anything:

re: rh9., dsl + firewall and delays in connections to a unix server while
using (default RH9.0) ssh

I have tried to turn *off* the firewall setup during installation
(original choices were: Medium security while allowing ftp, ssh, but not
telnet) -- neither lokkit nor setup seems to change (the respective
settings) no matter what option I choose.

Right now when using ssh something causes stalls...it can be minutes
before a keystroke will register.

I don't know if it is the ssh progam that is default with RH9.0...no one
else logging in the unix system I am logging into has reported such
problems. (note: I have multiple win boxes on same router which experience
no such delays while connected contemporaneously to same unix server)

? anyone have any suggestions?  I don't really know the ins and outs of
iptables (networking) and the like, but can extemporize...

Thanks in advance

mgolter

PS I am gonna go on-line and look, but if anyone has a
suggestion/recommendaton re: a good ssh program that allows backspacing (I
am a horrible typist and am tired of re-typing a line 3,000 times when
ftping over ssh!), a name would be appreciated! ;P