Re: Can't take gdb/ddd any more - alternatives?

Steve Snyder wrote:

Hello.

In my humble opinion the gdb debugger and the ddd graphical front-end for just plain suck. I've been using ddd daily for several months now and I can't take it any more.

That's really odd. Most people complain about their debuggers and are happy when they upgrade to gdb/ddd.

What are my options for getting a better debugger for Linux? I don't care if this theoretical debugger is non-Free software, nor is a x86-only debugger a problem.

It's hard to say. You're not likely to find an alternative to gdb, but there are several front ends. (Even HP seem to be getting rid of dde and replacing it with gdb, plus a nice TUI and GUI). For front ends, there are a couple of X-based ones, though I'm not sure any are distributed with Red Hat any more since ddd is generally regarded as the best.

For something rather different, try gdb in xemacs or emacs -- it's pretty good since you can debug, edit and compile all under the one interface. I like it, although I still use ddd because I *really* like the graphical display of data structures.

What do you consider to be a good debugger? adb? :-) It might be that you're beating your head against gdb and doing something wrong and its driving you mad.

jch