Re: GCC optimization

On Monday 09 June 2003 11:59 pm, Christos E. Chrisostomidis wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Most of the RPM packages shipped with RH9 (and older), come for a i386
> target.
>
> I am having a pentium 4 box and I am currently using rpmbiuld --rebuild
> --target i686 to rebuild the SRPMs in order to optimize performance.
>
> I am trying to optimize packages such as sendmail, samba, squid etc.
>
> I am wondering if I need to specify any gcc/g++ compiler optimization
> flags, perhaps in the form of an rpmrc file.
>
> If this is the case, does anybody knows a good reference to look at so
> I can find the appropriate optflags to use ?

As was recently discussed on this list, almost all the RHL binaries are
built with "-march=i386 -mcpu=i686".

Given that you've got a Pentium4 machine, you're probably better off
building with "-march=pentium4".  This, and any other desired compiler
switches, can be put in file /etc/rpmrc.

Speaking of Pentium4 optimizations, note the the -msse and -msse2 options
are considered to be buggy (according to the developers on the GCC list)
in versions 3.2.x of the compiler.

FYI.