Re: IBM Laptop & RH9?

On 8 Jun 2003, Colburn wrote:

> For the sake of all of us who are looking for a decent RH9-compatible
> laptop which IBM laptop are you using, please?
>
> Does everything work or is yours like most laptops wherein at least one
> piece of hardware won't play nice with RH9?

I use an IBM Thinkpad T30 2366-92A (2366-92U in the USA).

Everything works, and IBM even has a page showing how to install Linux on
the machine (http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-46291.html).

When I say "everything, I mean:

- The screen/video (1400x1050x24bit)
- The audio
- The Ethernet port
- The Wifi module
- The Bluetooth module
- The Winmodem (yup! http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/)
- The hardware buttons
- Suspend and resume, and even hibernation (if enabled correctly and a fat
  partiton exists)
- The gimmicks (thinkpad light, various controls)
- The trackpoint and glidepad (I hate glidepads - they are a writer's
  nightmare - especially if you have big thumbs!)
- All ports (USB, serial, printer, PCMCIA, etc.)
- The DVD drive, and the CDwriter capability

I run RHL 9 on mine, and it is reasonably snappy (in as much as RHL 9 can
be termed "snappy").

This is my second Thinkpad (my earlier one, A TP 770, served me faithfully
for 5 years running everything from RHL 5.0 to RHL 8, before it finally
physically collapsed).

Support from IBM for Linux has been *great* (the one time I had an issue
with a flaky Wifi module, the technician didnt bat an eyelid when I said
"no windows" and simply asked "got wavemon installed?" and prceeded to
debug the problem using that and some mysterious poking around in /proc,
determined that it was hardware, and swapped the module for a new one).

If I sound like a fanboy - believe me, when it comes to IBM Thinkpads and
Linux, especially the one I have now, the adulation is richly deserved.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 344-0397