Re: 2.5 kernels and shrike RPMs

On 6 Jun 2003, Warren Togami wrote:

> Probably the problem is your kernel is unable to read the LABEL of the
> partition.  The workaround would be to change "LABEL=/" to the actual
> root filesystem device.
>
> Anyone know what kernel option needs to be activated so the kernel can
> read LABEL from the partitions?

based on what i was told once upon a time (after i got burned by
this), this has nothing to do with a kernel option.  it has to do
with the fact that you have to use an initrd.img in order to use
"LABEL"s in your /etc/fstab.

as it was explained to me, when you use an initrd.img, the mounting
of the root FS is done in user space, which supports LABEL options.

if you don't use an initrd.img, you can't use LABELs.  if anyone
wants to expand on this, or clarify it, i'd be interested.

rday