Re: Installing Oracle under Linux

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 11:51, Jeffrey W Comer wrote:
> Do we have anyone on the list who has installed the Oracle database on
> a Linux server?  I am installing Oracle 9.2 Standard Edition,
> software only, on Red Hat 9 and it keeps getting hung.  The last few
> lines of the log file show -
>
> Calling action unixActions2.2.0.6.0  createLink
>         source = /home/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/.java_wrapper
>         destination = /home/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/jre
>         overwriteExistingLink = true
>
> The file cited in the source line above, .java_wrapper, exists.  And I
> am doing the install under the oracle uid.  This is maybe only the
> second step in a lengthy install process.
>
> There is nothing happening - no disk activity, no CPU, no nothing; no
> extra processes are being spawned.  I let it run overnight once and
> it was in the very same place.  I downloaded new images from Oracle
> and got the same result.  (That was another over-nighter :-( )
>
> Any clues or pointers as to where to go from here?  What else to try?
> How to skip this step?  Or fake it?  Or make it happen independently?
> Anything in the Red Hat setup I should check?

Can you try exporting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 and then launch the
installation process from the command line?

# export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
# <command_used_to_launch_oracle_installation>

I think it's a problem related to the new NPTL code in Red Hat 9 kernel
and glibc interacting with the Java Runtime Environment.

Maybe there's another solution: upgrading to the latest JRE (I think
it's 1.4.0_03) and try to convince the Oracle installer to use it.