Re: glibc 2.0

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, John Packer wrote:

> Any help on this would be appreciated. I have recently installed boxed
> redhat 9 on dell laptop- was liking it when I decided to update thru
> redhat network. When glibc was being downloaded it crashed system(fatal
> error)- since cant get x & get this when trying to "startx";
>  "usr/bin/gnome-session: relocation error:
> /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0:symbol _h_e rrno, version GLIBC_2.0 not
> defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference"

I saw a very similar error for a different program a couple of days ago.
In my case the error was down to disk corruption of the package.

You can check the gnome-session package by running
rpm -vV gnome-session
you may get some epoch warnings about gdm which you can ignore, but any
other lines probably mean the package is corrupt.

If this is the problem, try
up2date gnome-session
which might fix the problem if the problem occured when that package was
being updated, otherwise download the package by hand an run
rpm -Uvh gnome-session*rpm --replacepkgs --replacefiles
which should restore a clean copy.

	Michael Young