Re: completely disable PC speaker?

Get a mini-phono jack at an electronics store, and shove it in
the headphone slot.  Simple visual that it's disabled (the plug is in).
Disable the microphone in a similar fashion.  Simpler than software!

James Ralston wrote:
I just received a Dell Latitude D600 laptop.  Unlike previous Latitude
laptops I've used, this one doesn't have any option in the BIOS to set
the PC speaker volume.

As a result, when I do things like insert or remove PCMCIA cards, the
machine beeps at me.  This sucks, because in most situations (e.g.,
meetings or presentations), I want my laptop to be COMPLETELY SILENT.

Is there any way to tell the kernel to never, ever send anything to
the PC speaker?

(I have a service request open with Dell about this issue, but I have
a suspicion they're going to tell me something like "we don't support
Linux on this laptop, and in Windows you can disable the speaker".)

Thanks,