Re: **adding ram -need to do more**

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, joe wrote:

> DuSTiN KRySaK wrote:
>
> >>boot into the system and type free -m, if you see a total of something
> >>like 768, then you have it.
> >
> >It is not showing the new ram....
> >
> >How do I get it to see it?
> >
> If the BIOS sees it, linux will see it.
>
> Go into the BIOS and see if it sees the RAM

This is not entirely accurate.  On some systems, the kernel does not
necessarily see the full complement of memory.  You sometimes have to pass
a parameter to the kernel at boot time using "append=" and a ram parameter
in your lilo.conf file.

It's been a long time since I had a system where I had to append anything,
so I'm a little fuzzy on what the actual parameter is...might be "mem",
not "ram".

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe