Re: apt-get

anthony baldwin wrote:
I updated my apt-get to the shrike version, but I keep running into this:
Ign http://apt.freshrpms.net redhat/9/en/i385/os release
Err http://apt.freshrpms.net redhat/9/en/i385/updates pkglist
  404 Not Found

Fix your /etc/apt/sources.list. Easiest fix would be:

mv /etc/apt/sources.list.rpmsave /etc/apt/sources.list

[root@xxxxxxxxx programs]# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  ethereal: Depends: libelf.so.0
  ethereal-gnome: Depends: libelf.so.0
  rpm2html: Depends: librpm-4.1.so
            Depends: librpmdb-4.1.so
            Depends: librpmio-4.1.so
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Remove rpm2html. Apt will not be able to fix it. You need to get a version of that package compiled for RHL 9.

After that, 'apt-get -f install'

So, it is still looking for librpm-4.1.so, even though I have updated
> the apt-get package.

rpm2html depends on it, as did your old apt installation. Just as you needed to get a version of apt for RHL 9, you'll need a new copy of rpm2html (or remove it if you're not using it).

that, and, apparently the address I have for the
> shrike packages is incorrect, although, I swear I got it right from freshrpms...

It's unlikely that your sources.list came from that updated package, since the host is no longer referred to as apt.freshrpms.net.

I refuse to use -f. I don't want to force and break the system.

-f isn't "Force", it's "Fix my broken system".