Re: Main Board Suggestion

>>> Jesse Keating<hosting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 06/05/03 12:54PM >>>
On Thursday 05 June 2003 10:50, Z wrote:
> ????????? What the hell? NASA flies laptops regularly. No changes other
> than voltage conversion and beefing up the fans (no gravity = no
> convection cooling). The only depressurized component in an LCD panel is
> the fluorescent bulb and there's no way in hell that you can blow it up
> with vacuum. Overpressure maybe, but them you'll probably kill the
> operator first by O2 toxicity.
> Glass cockpits are the standard these days. People travel with laptops
> and so far no claims of dead screens...

>Thats kinda my thought too.  I take my ibook on air planes all the time,
>haven't lost an LCD yet...

The plane is unpressurized at least in this application. Performance at sea level  is 4-5000 Ft/min towards 29,500 ft. The pilot is on oxygen.

You guys are used to pressurized cabins where cabin altitude is around 8,000 ft even when the plane is at 35,000. Airliners also don't rocket up to altitude because passengers don't like the rapid change in atmospheric pressure.

Think about it - if ruggedized LCD's weren't needed, then why do they make them for applications where atmspheric pressure changes over a large range? Glass cockpits use those LCD's and they are expensive.

See www.lancair.com Lancair IV-P  to get an idea.

Bill Gradwohl
(817) 224-9400 x211
www.ycc.com