Re: Which disk comes first?

I guess I should have written that the file systems on the other end of the
firewire and USB are both vfat, so the label= method will not work.  (Unless
one can label vfat or use some other identifier in a FAT file system?)  The
firewire holds a traditional DOS extended partition, which I guess is why it
comes in at /dev/sd?5.  The USB houses a primary partition and it appears at
/dev/sda1.

I played around with updfstab and could not get anything to happen there.  The
format of the updfstab.conf file is pretty simple.  (Actually it should be in
/etc/updfstab.conf.default).  On a hunch, I coded the following stanza -

device fireext {
    partition 1
    match   hd "sda5"
    symlink true
}

And in /etc/fstab I had -

/mnt/fireext /u0 vfat rw,umask=0000,auto,kudzu

The intent was to get updfstab to mount the vfat partition at either /u0 or at
/mnt/fireext.  But it didn't happen.  It didn't like the partition argument
and it didn't find a device called fireext, which I thought was only supposed
to be a pseudo-device name.

As to your question regarding hot-disconnecting Firewire devices, the only
answer I can give is that I don't do it.  I always power down into suspend or
off before removing the card, a PCMCIA card.  In any case, I don't think
updfstab will run when you hot-connect the device; you may have to run it by
hand.

And funny you should ask about kernel 18.9.  I just up2date'd it today and ran
into some problems with an NTFS file system - yea, I am kind of a nut when it
comes to file systems and disks! - so I backed off temporarily and am running
13.9.  I did notice once or twice that the system locked up writing large
amounts of data (>10GB) to the Firewire, but it hasn't happened since.

I am thinking now I will just have to cook up something to run in the rc
scripts that will test for and mount filesystems at /u0 and /u1.  I sure
would like something a bit more elegant though.

Rgds,
~>jc ** jeffrey w comer