Re: RPM documentation

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> On Monday 02 June 2003 17:32, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> > The "Maximum RPM" docs that come with RH9 are Copyright © 2000. That's ages
> > ago. The docs are good at explaining -i, -e and -q, but refer to -b for
> > building which is no longer applicable since "rpmbuild" took over those
> > chores.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a better source of current information regarding
> > "rpmbuild" that's comprehensive and more descriptive than the man page? A
> > book, web site, anything. I'd prefer examples and scenarios to just a dry
> > man page description of all the bells and whistles.
> >

> "Maximum RPM" isn't too bad of a reference, but, true, it is a little dated.
> RPM is one of those things you really should learn by reading other spec
> files. You have hundreds of them with your Red Hat system, so your best
> reference is going to be all of those source RPM spec files. Not only that,
> but there are thousands of RPMs out in the wild. I am sure one of them does
> pretty much what you want.
>
> And when you run into problems -- Jeff Johnson at rpm-list is extremely
> helpful and friendly, as well as several other helping hands. I don't think
> they look unfavorably on anyone who is taking the time to package their
> software the best they can.

a guy named matthias saou runs a site called http://freshrpms.net, which
is a repository for pre-built RPMS for the latest versions of red hat
linux.

in addition to the RPMs themselves, he makes available the spec files
and there's also a tutorial for building RPMs, if that's what you're
interested in.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day