Re: Need Help with Up2date

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Frank K wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> Mostly I want to know if there is some requirement for having to do this all
> with up2date. If that's the case it isn't going to happen.
>
> I am in a fringe area for internet access. Here 28.8 is tops and a connection
> only lasts for a few minutes at a time. In all evening I got two Cups rpms
> and half a dozen tries at Ghostscript.
>
> I got the package list for my system and I think update --download --package
> put all the headers I need into /var/spool/up2date.
>
> What I want to do is download the rpms to match these header one at a time
> from RH without using up2date. I would put each file into /var/spool/up2date.
> If and when I accomplish this I would run up2date --install.
>
> Is this a workable strategy? If I get to a place with higher network bandwidth
> and my rpm list I can shorten the time to collect all these pieces.

Or you could use a combination of rsync and yum, apt-get or any number of other
updating programs.

The advantage to rsync is that if you get interrupted on one of your downloads
you can resume it where you left off without having to redownload the parts
you already have.

FWIW yum is very easy to get a basic setup going. I use rsync to pull the rpms
into a local repository and yum to keep the machines up2date. You can do the same
thing with apt-get and several other programs put there. It just depends on
what you want to do.

HTH,

--
......Tom		CLUELESSNESS: There Are No Stupid Questions, But
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	There Are LOTS of Inquisitive Idiots. :-)