Re: MultiHomed or Alias IP's

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 19:46, Wolfgang Gill wrote:
> The System comprises of a Tyan Tiger MPX MB, Dual Athlon MP CPU's, 1GB
> Registered Ram and a DUAL Channel Intel Pro Nic card.
>
> I have configured a static IP address for each of the network card(s)
> (192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11, eth0 and eth1, these are test IP's. The
> proper ones will be configured when I get this all working right)
>
> Both network connections are connected to an 8 Port switch.(And can be
> pinged OK)
>
> What I would basically like to do is this.
>
> I'm setting up a multi-server UT2K3 servers. (More than 1 server instance of
> UT2K3 at the same time, basically around 3-4 depending on game type, Death
> match, CTF etc). I would like to tell UT2K3 to use a specific IP address
> and/or both. So as to balance the network traffic.
>
> In the UT2K3 setup doc's, they talk about making the OS 'Multi-homed', or
> setup 'Alias IP's'. (What ever that means??) So, if someone could explain
> that to me, it would be great!
>
> This server will be connected to a LARGE LAN (250+ People), where people
> will connect to play UT2K3.

You would probably be okay with IP aliases.  redhat-config-network
(a.k.a. neat) has an easy way to add IP aliases to your device.  Simply
click "New" -> "Ethernet" -> Select the ethernet device -> setup IP.
When you restart networking it should show up as eth0:X where X is a
number incrementing from zero.  Each can have a unique IP address on the
same physical interface.

After you created one or more IP aliases, look at these files:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0*

You can simply make additional copies with appropriate filenames and
config changes to configure IP aliases manually.

Warren Togami
warren@xxxxxxxxxx