From: Joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Apache, 2.0.47, RH9
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:43:54 -0700

Logan Linux wrote:

Slow down there!

If rpm is hung you will first need to go to /var/lib/rpm and remove all __db* files, then all rpm processes can be killed, and you can do the upgrade.

Kill all rpm processes... how do i find what processes are running (heheh task manager is my friend in w32...) there must be a simple command to list processes...or proccesses of a certain type?

In linux you can type "killall rpm" and "killall rpmd" or better yet, try "mysql_zap -f rpm" which will work if you have mysql installed. (With more primitive versions of unix you'd have to first use "ps -ef" to get the process listing, find the process ids of the processes you want to kill, then type e.g. "kill -9 <process id>" for each one you need to kill - but you can do it that way in linux too if you want to)

Indeed - rpm as shipped in RH8/9 is broken.
Get all the rpm version 4.2-1 package from rpm.org, along with popt-1.8-1, install them and be happy.

"get ?ALL? rpm version 4.2-1 package(s)??"
What do you mean...sorry??

Sorry, geek shorthand - go here:

ftp://wintermute.toyota.com/fixes/redhat-rpm/RH9/

and download all files in that directory -

Then assuming you have killed off the hung rpms processes, do this:

rpm -Fvvh rpm*rpm popt*rpm

You must of course be root, preferably before you do any of these things

Joe