Re: sort

Tom Ball wrote:

Does anyone know where the reasoning behind the strange collating

behavior in the en_US.UTF-8 locale? No matter how I pre-sort the IP
list, en_US.UTF-8 collating still wants to put the "128.*" IP address
between two "12.*" ones. This is even true on Solaris, so the problem
appears to be with the en_US.UTF-8 collation table, not the OS or its
collation code.

It's "dictionary order" by default which is what is natural to most people. It used to be that you had to use a special option to sort (sort -df) to get this, now you get it by default. I set my LC_COLLATE to "C" in mt .bash_profile to get the old fashioned behaviour because I like to get my Makefile at the beginning of the ls listing and not half way through!

jch