Re: ext3 ACL support in RHL9

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 12:09:00PM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > I can't find any reference to ACL support for ext2/ext3 in the Red Hat
> > Linux 9 kernel. Also, current patches from acl.bestbits.at don't apply
> > cleanly to the heavily-patched RHL9 kernel. Also, I've been unable to
> > use a vanilla 2.4.21 kernel as some tools like pam_ldap don't work.
> >
> > Is there any planned support?
>
> Yup, it's planned.  ACL support was in both the RHL 8.0 and 9 betas but
> pulled for the final releases.  I later saw a statement that Red Hat had
> identified the bug(s) causing the issues, knew or had the fix, and
> expected to be able to ship ACL support in an errata update.

The Release Notes confirms this:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/release-notes/x86/
Special Note: The ACL support added to the kernel in the first two
public beta releases proved to be unstable and caused the kernel to
regress. Red Hat has therefore removed that ACL support from the kernel
for Red Hat Linux 9. Kernel engineers will continue work on improving
the ACL support, which will be available in a future release. The attr
and acl packages needed to support ACLs are still included to make it
easier for users and developers who wish to test ACLs. Red Hat may, at
our discretion, provide ACL support for this release of Red Hat Linux by
means of an upgrade, if future testing demonstrates that the ACL support
has sufficiently improved in quality.

Oisin Feeley