Re: The "correct" way to turn on esd.

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 10:29, Alejandro González Hernández - Imoq wrote:

> At home I do have esd running, but here at work, by default esd doesn't
> run on every reboot.  What is the correct way to enable it?
> I put an ugly hack at /etc/rc.d/rc.local where I just call /usr/bin/esd
> &  but I really would like to do it "the Red Hat way" :).

It should be started automatically. If it doesn't (or not reliably at
least), you must figure out why.

OTOH, ask yourself if you really need it. You DO NOT need esd to do the
following things:
- listen to MP3, Ogg Vorbis and WAV files with XMMS
- listen to audio CDs with Grip
- watch SVCDs, DivX, DVDs, etc. with Xine
- listen to webcasts (Real, etc.) in Mozilla with xine-plugin
- play Quake III with the sound enabled :-)
All these things use OSS and/or ALSA directly. The former is simpler,
the latter has better performance and allows for more complex tasks to
be performed.
Myself, i disable esd on my workstations. Never felt the need to run it.

There aren't many apps that can only play sound via esd. I believe the
environment sounds in Gnome rely on it (correct me if i'm wrong).

esd sorely needs a major overhaul (or replacement :-D).

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith