Re: The old DNS gambit

Oisin Feeley <ofeeley@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> So finally to the punch line:
>>
>> Is there something I can put in /etc/reslov.conf that will force a
>> dns query to look at my hosts file first, and go no further if it
>> hits pay dirt.  I don't really want to run a nameserver myself.
>> Again it just seems like too much work and bs for a single user
>> operation.
>
> If you edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and change the line
> hosts:	files dns
>
> to:
> hosts:	files [success=return]
>
> then this should work.  (Actually "return" is the default and just the
> line "hosts: files" should work on its own).

Not to be argumentative here, but are you guys sure about this?
I've tinkered with nsswitch long ago too and as I recall:
  hosts:        files dns
Is already supposed to mean that /etc/hosts is consulted first.

I tried Oisins suggestions and changed it to:

hosts:        files [success=return]

service network restart

I see absolutely no difference at all.

host reader.local.net1  returns:
Host reader.local.net1 not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

nslookup returns:

Server:		192.168.0.20
Address:	192.168.0.20#53

** server can't find reader.local.net1: NXDOMAIN

This may not be possible to do, but one of my stipulations was that
lookups be forced to consult /etc/hosts.

My /etc/hosts definitely has resolution for above:

grep 'reader\.local\.net1'  /etc/hosts
192.168.1.7      reader.local.net1      reader       # rh9

Is there something else that needs to be HUPped?  Or am I just
barking up the wrong tree?