Re: Ping Question

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 06:17:03AM -0700, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have setup two windows machine that are being
> assigned IP addresses via DHCP on my Linux box. DDNS
> is being updated correctly via DHCP.
>
> My question is:
>
> When I ping the netbios name of the machines, they
> will only ping with the FQDN, "ping ok1.mylan.lan" and
> not by the short name "pine".

First, there is no guarantee that the netbios name is in any way related
to the DNS name.

> Is this the way it's supposed to work, or is there a
> way to ping by the short name "ok1"?

What you may want to do is configure your resolver for a default search
domain.  So, on your Linux systems, add the following line to
/etc/resolv.conf:
search mylan.lan
and try your ping again.  Remember, you're still not pinging by netbios
name - you're simply appending mylan.lan to whatever name you put on
your ping command.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx