Re: Pine problem

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Jean Francois Ortolo wrote:

> Hi all
>   I've just installed Shrike on my computer, it works great, the only
> thing I see, is it doesn't accept user names with a dot in it.
>
>   As I was accustomed to set 'ortolo.jeanfrancois' as one of my user
> name, it refuses now to do it.
>   The problem is, I don't know the way I could set my "From:" email
> address with Pine.
>
>   Usually, the "From:" address in Pine, is the user name itself. Which
> in my case, could give: "ortolo_jeanfrancois", but not
> "ortolo.jeanfrancois", that I was not be able to set as user name.
>
>   So my question is:  Is there a way in Pine, to set the "From:" email
> address in Pine, such that the login part of the address, could be
> "ortolo.jeanfrancois", instead of the user name of the Linux account ?

Hi, I don't know why you want to do that.  Obviously, you have already
entered your full name into the pine setup.  The following is the header
of your posting:

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:53:35 +0200
From: Jean Francois Ortolo <ortolo.jeanfrancois@xxxxxxx>
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Pine problem

So, everybody knows that your full name is Jean Francois Ortolo, thus why
does also your user name need to reflect it?  Even if your user name would
be ojf, I still would know it's you.

Of course, this doesn't answer your question.  If you manage to do what
you describe, you would also have to find a way to set the "Reply To:" (in
case you don't post to the list) to a real user name (or alias it in
sendmail/postfix, which was another thread, here or on psyche), otherwise
you wouldn't get replies anymore.

Cheers,

Michael