Adding docbook slides xml

I want to start learning about docbook.  I downloaded slides-3.1.0, but I'm
not sure how to install it.  I know I should just need to edit some catalog
file to reference some new catalog files, but which files?

On my (complete) RH9 system there is xml stuff in many places, with many
things that look like some kind of catalog file.

Maybe I need to edit /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog?  Add a reference to
slides-3.1.0/catalog.xml?

BTW, it is really unfortunate if the only way to add packages is to edit
files.  The system used for /etc/profile.d, /etc/cron.d, etc is much better.