Re: moving up to 2.5 kernels

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 22:46, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> What does this error message mean? I believe it is telling me that there
> is no module named 'raid1' in /lib/modules/2.5.73-bk8/..., is this
> correct?

Yes, that's the gist of it.

> I had actually (I believe) compiled RAID1 support into the kernel,
> rather than enabled it as a module.
>
> How does mkinitrd decide that I need a module, raid1, based on
> inspecting /etc/modules.conf and /etc/fstab? E.g. why doesn't it check
> to see if the kernel has support for raid1 compiled in?

As I said yesterday (Monday?) on this list, mkinitrd checks various
files to see which kernel features you need in your initrd.  The basic
files are /etc/modules.conf and /etc/fstab, there may be others.  In
your case it's probably seeing the /dev/md* stuff in /etc/fstab and
realizing you need RAID modules (maybe it checks /etc/raidtab too).
There's no easy way to see if a kernel has something compiled in (unless
it had some way of parsing the .config, but that could still be
problematic).

If you're compiling RAID etc into the kernel, you shouldn't need an
initrd at all (except maybe for LVM user-land commands if you mount /
from LVM), so you wouldn't normally be running mkinitrd at all.

> And how can I tell mkinitrd, "don't worry about RAID1, I compiled it in
> the kernel"?

It's pretty clearly documented in the man page.
Type 'man mkinitrd' at a shell prompt.  (I think you want the
--omit-raid-modules option.)

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@xxxxxxxxx       trilug.org/~jeremy     |