Re: The famous Backspace Key

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Matthew D. Sale wrote:

> Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 15:06, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>I have RH7.3 and I'm using rxvt as my X11 terminal.
> >>I connect via ssh(ssh.com client) to a RH9( that use openssh server)
> >

> > Why are you using the ssh.com client when the openssh client comes with
> > RHL 7.3 and is fully open source and compatible with RH 9's openssh
> > server?  I would try that first.
> >

> >>The problem I found is that when I'm inside the vi editor and press
> >>the BackSpace Key, I see this caracter: ^H
> >>In order to delete inside vi, I have to use Ctrl+H
> >>
> >>Is there a way to fix this?
> >

> > You might be able to with the 'stty' command.  See the man page -- I've
> > always found this very confusing however.  I think what you're trying to
> > do is map ^H to the 'kill' command or some such.
> >
> > --Jeremy
> >
> Try:
>
> stty erase ^H

In fact, if this works for you (and it should), you should be able to put
it into your .bashrc or .bash_profile.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe