Re: moving up to 2.5 kernels

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 18:20, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:
> How did you make virtual console to work?
> I compiled with virtual terminal support and with console on VT, but when I
> boot the kernel, I see only grub messages.
> I tried to add console=tty0 to kernel command line, but it doesn't help.
> What am I missing?

In character devices you need to say y to virtual terminal and support for
console on virtual terminal, as you already have. I also believe that you
need to say yes to Graphic Support -> Console Display Driver Support -> VGA
text console.

If this doesn't work, I have config (Evo-N1000v.config) for my laptop at

http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/Compaq/Kernel/Kernel-2.5/

You could start from that one. It might be simpler.

Synaptics:
For those of you having trouble with the touchpad, look at point 4 and 5 in
the file readme.txt available from the above link. Then have a look at my
XF86Config-2.5.x.

USB:
To get usb-hotplug running I had to do a couple of small changes to
rc.sysinit. Do a search for the string kv. It's a short for kernelversion and
you'll find my changes. At least my usb-mouse now works. Other ub-devices? No
idea.

--
Øystein Olsen, oystein.olsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx, http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio
Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, http://www.astro.uio.no