Re: moving up to 2.5 kernels

On 30 Jun 2003, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I installed the QT-devel package, set QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.1, and did
> make xconfig.

once you installed that package, there was no need to set that
env variable -- it comes with the package automatically.

some packages will install an environment setting file in
/etc/profile.d, which will be invoked automatically upon
login.

if you check that directory, you'll see the file qt.sh, which
sets the above all by itself.

> then saved the config.
>
> then 'make bzImage'. (compiled without a problem.)

a good sign.

> then 'make modules'.
>
> This got an Error 1 one on of the modules. Checked your advice, ran
> 'make -ki modules'.
>
> then 'make modules_install'. Many modules got errors which were ignored.

you shouldn't run this step until you get no build errors on all
of the modules you selected.

if a module generates a build error, you should deselect it for
the time being.  once all your selected modules build, you can
run the modules_install step.

rday