Re: Wrong __dbs deleted

Mike Vanecek wrote:

> Doing a rpm -ivh, rpm hung, went to do the standard
> rm of the __db lock files and then rebuilddb, however I did a

In most cases rebuilddb is unnecessary, removing the lock files is enough.

> rm /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat/__db* instead of a
> rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
> So what did I totally mess up by deleting the wrong __db files?

The files are from the rpmdb-redhat package (or maybe the other way
round), which basically contains an rpm database for a fully installed,
unpatched system, and is used by rpm to suggest resolutions for missing
dependencies. As this database is effectively read only, deleting the __db
files is almost certainly harmless.

	Michael Young